Assessments can be both formal and informal. Informal assessments, known as development and guidance assessments, are completed using a carbon copy form. These assessments offer general performance feedback and the triplicate form provides a record for the official, assessor and the State Director of Assessment.
Formal assessments are required for grade maintenance and upgrade. These assessments follow specific criteria and must be completed online by the assessor. All online assessments are completed in the U.S. Soccer GameOfficials Assessment System and can be accessed by the official, assessor, State Director of Assessment, State Referee Administrator and the U.S. Soccer Referee Department.
The USSF Referee Administrative Handbook details the various Referee Grades and outlines the requirements to "Upgrade" from one grade to another. Upgrades require that the following two requirements must be fulfilled in order to proceed with the Upgrade process.
- Experience (game count at appropriate level according to grade)
- Time in present grade
When the first three requirements are met and you are ready to initiate the Upgrade process:
- Notify the State Referee Administrator (SRA) firstname.lastname@example.org inwriting that you are requesting an Upgrade. Include a copy of your game log as proof of Experience (Forms to assist you with keeping track ofyour game count and Upgrade requirements are available on the Downloads page)
- Complete the Application to Upgrade under the "Forms" menu on this website.
- Submit the $20 Upgrade Fee through gameofficials.net Group 1280 under Courses
The following are additional requirements that must be completed during the Upgrade process; these are also outlined in the USSF Referee Administrative Handbook:
- Training Course Requirements (contact SDI at email@example.com)
- Written Examination (contact SDI at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Match Assessments/Field Evaluations (contact SDA at email@example.com)
- Physical Fitness Test (contact SDI at firstname.lastname@example.org)
When you have completed ALL the requirements to Upgrade you must notify the SRA (email@example.com) that all requirements are now met.
Once your upgrade has been approved you will be notified that the Upgradeprocess has been completed.
Note: to maintain Referee grades 7, 6, 5, and Emeritus you must meet all annual requirements for your Referee Grade. On an annual basis you must attend a Recertification Clinic, pass a Physical Fitness Test (excluding Emeritus), a Recertification Test, a Field Assessment and comply with the SRC Policy for Referees regarding minimum number of games officiated. All Referees considering advancement must keep accurate records of all the Clinics and Training that you have participated in and Matches that you have officiated. Your records should include Clinic Type, Clinic Date, Clinic Instructor, Assessment Information, Game Dates, Venues, League, Level of Competition, Teams, and your position, i.e. Referee or AR. You will use much of this information when you fill out your annual Referee Recertification information.